Patrick Deane Daniels (OG ’59) 20.4.1940 – 27.2.2020

Patrick died peacefully in his sleep at the end of February prior to the lockdown. Just weeks away from his 80th birthday, fittingly, his family were able to hold a small funeral service for him on St Patrick’s Day. A larger Remembrance Service is to be arranged at a later date when social distancing restrictions are lifted, and we can give our father a proper send off.

Patrick attended St George’s from 1949-1959. He was an only child whose father was killed in the war and his resourceful mother knew how important a good education was for the future success of her son. Her sacrifices to pay the school fees proved a sound investment and Patrick went on to a 30-year career in the City as a Solicitor specialising in International Tax. As a Partner at Simmons & Simmons, he held a number of Directorships on several Charitable Trusts, as well as being a Committee Member of the City of London Solicitor’s Company, the British-German Jurists’ Association and the Salzburg Seminar Alumni Association. He was a Freeman of the City of London and an advisor to the International Cricket Council.

After the tragedy of his early years, Patrick enjoyed life at St George’s. He was a natural sprinter and hurdler and, under the coaching of Hubert Humphrey, represented the school at various Amateur Athletics Association events and ran for the County. He enjoyed playing Rugby and his cousin, Andrew Watts, who followed Patrick to St George’s, remembers an occasion when he ended up in the Sanatorium having collided with a metal bench which had carelessly been moved near the try line for the benefit of the spectators. Patrick took the incident with his characteristic equanimity and had a chuckle despite looking as though he had collided with a bus.

Patrick left school and went on to read law at the University of Durham. In addition to his academic studies, he flew in the Air Squadron and helped to carry the Cross on several pilgrimages to Walsingham, whereby learning a variety of songs to keep up morale whilst on the march. As children, we would happily sing along with him to wile away the hours on long car journeys – “My father was the keeper of the Eddystone light” and “In Dublin’s fair city” to name but a few.

In his retirement living in Clare, Suffolk, Patrick remained active as Churchwarden, Chairman of the Town Council and representing various other Charitable Institutions. He and his wife, Heide, undertook various extensive cycling tours venturing as far as the Continent. He was a kind, hands-on Grandpa always prepared to help in any way he could. He will be sorely missed but we very grateful to have had him in the first place. A friend perfectly described him as a “true Gent”.

May he rest in peace.

Words – Nina Holmes – daughter of Patrick

Stay In Touch